Who Can Vote?

To qualify to vote in the 2018 Municipal Elections on Voting Day, October 22, 2018, you must be:

  • A Canadian citizen,
  • At least 18 years old,
  • A resident of the Municipality of Clarington, or the owner or tenant of land in the Municipality of Clarington, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant, and
  • Not otherwise prohibited by law from voting.

For clarity, there are three ways that you can qualify to vote in a municipality:

  • As a resident elector, if you live in the municipality - You (or your spouse) may own, rent, live in shared accommodation where you do not pay rent, or live in the municipality but do not have a fixed address. Being a resident elector is the most common type of eligibility.
  • As a non-resident elector, if you own or rent property in a municipality, but it’s not the one where you live - You can only be a resident elector in one municipality. However, you can be a non-resident elector in any other municipality (or municipalities) where you own or rent property.
  • As the spouse of a non-resident elector, if your spouse owns or rents property in the municipality or municipalities other than the one where you live.

Neither you nor your spouse qualify as a non-resident elector if you do not personally own or rent the property in the municipality. For example, if the property is owned by your business or your cottage is owned by a trust, you would not qualify as a non-resident elector.

Persons prohibited from voting:

  • A person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution, including a sentence being served in the evening or on weekends
  • A corporation
  • A person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity, except as a voting proxy
  • A person who was convicted of the corrupt practice described in Subsection 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, if Voting Day in the current election is less than five years after Voting Day in the election in respect of which he or she was convicted.