How to Submit your Nomination

If you are contemplating running for Council of the Municipality of Clarington, for the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board, or the Peterborough Victoria Northumberland and Clarington Catholic District School Board, you may file your nomination using the prescribed form, with the Municipal Clerk any time during normal business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) from May 1 to July 27, 2018. On Nomination Day, July 27, 2018, nominations may be filed between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Note: During the months of July and August, normal business hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Exception: If the number of nominations filed for an office and certified under Section 35 of the Act, is less than the number of persons to be elected to the office, additional nominations may be filed between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on the Wednesday following Nomination Day (August 1, 2018).

  • All nominations shall be in the prescribed Nomination Paper form, which is available at the Municipal Clerk’s Department.
  • Candidates must be qualified to be a candidate (including the qualifications as an elector in the Municipality of Clarington) on the date of filing their nominations
  • The Clerk, or designate will only accept the nomination if it includes the nomination filing fee and the endorsement of 25 eligible electors on the prescribed Endorsement of Nomination form. This excludes candidates for school board trustee, who do not require any endorsements.
  • The nomination filing fee is $200 for the Office of Mayor and $100 for all other offices. The nomination filing fee shall be paid in cash, debit, certified cheque or money order made payable to the Municipality of Clarington.
  • The prescribed endorsements must be on the prescribed form and be original signatures of people who would be eligible to vote at the time they provided the endorsement.
  • A Nomination may only be filed in person or by an agent with original signatures. Facsimile transmissions (i.e. faxes), electronic or mailed-in nominations will not be accepted.
  • Until you file your nomination (and filing fee), your campaign organization cannot raise money or incur expenses. Also, you cannot spend any of your own money, or that of your spouse, on your campaign before you file your nomination (and filing fee).
  • Each person to be nominated for election to an office shall be nominated by a separate nomination.

Can I withdraw my nomination?

If you decide to withdraw from the election, you must notify the Municipal Clerk in writing by 2 p.m. on July 27, 2018.

Exception: If you were nominated under subsection 33 (5) (i.e. Additional Nominations), you must notify the Municipal Clerk in writing by 2 p.m. on July 30, 2018.

If withdrawing, you are entitled to a refund of the nomination filing fee. You are still required to submit in the prescribed form (Financial Statement – Auditor’s Report Form 4) a financial disclosure covering the financial transactions made up to the point at which you withdrew.

Can I change my nomination to a different office?

If, after filing a nomination for an office, you decide to seek election for another office on the same municipal council or local board, you may file a second nomination for the new office. The first nomination is deemed to have been withdrawn at the time the second nomination is filed. Under such circumstances, the nomination filing fee is transferred to the new office. However, the two campaigns are separate campaigns; contributions and expenses cannot be transferred to the new office and two separate financial disclosures must be filed in the prescribed form (Financial Statement – Auditor’s Report Form 4), one for each office.

Similarly, in accordance with subsection 33 (2.1), where a candidate submitted nomination papers for one office (i.e. Local Ward 4 Councillor) and decides to seek election for another office not on the Municipality of Clarington Council (i.e. Regional Chair), in addition to filing a new Nomination form, the candidate must also submit the prescribed endorsements.

Is my nomination filing fee refundable?

As a candidate, you will be entitled to receive a refund of your nomination filing fee if the documents required under subsection 88.25 (financial filing) are filed on or before 2 p.m. on the filing date.